Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Unifi TV doomed?

SOLVED
Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

Is Unifi TV doomed?

Let's face it! Unifi TV is currently doomed not because of its channels/content offering, but for other annoying reasons.

1. Unifi Plus Box can't support Netflix?!

Since a long time ago, we heard the news that Netflix is willing to collaborate with Unifi TV and allow it to be part of the subscribers' bill. 

Source: https://www.lowyat.net/2018/153485/tm-netflix-unifi-tv-status/

But what happened? Here's the latest reply by the Unifi TV team!
"For the time being, we have yet collabrate with Netflix Malaysia. For any updates, we will share official announcement with consumer in Social Media platform Twitter and Facebook" ~ Unifi TV via Messenger

I can't believe that. How could you people just pull yourself from this partnership? 😤

2. Unifi TV app for Unifi Plus Box users and Unifi PlayTV app suck!

We all enjoy the channels and titles provided in both Unifi TV (UPB version) and Unifi PlayTV app, but the design and stability of the app are the main issues here. 

Why Unifi TV app and PlayTV app save bandwidth for both linear channel and VOD streaming? For God's sake, most of us stream the channels and titles on both platforms using Wifi (not data hotspot). Why would Unifi TV think that we're on a data diet? 🙄 All channels and VOD titles provided on UPB and Unifi PlayTV should match the white box's quality, which means 8.8 Mbps for all channels and VOD titles. Not 3.3 Mbps for linear channels and 4.8 for HD VOD titles, which is terrible. Of course, users can have the options to stream the content at a lower resolution/bit rate, but the highest resolution/bit rate should be provided and set as default for UPB users.

Why so many errors and needs to clear cache?

Can the Unifi TV team just hire a team of skilled members to design their apps? I don't see any major problem with iFLIX, Astro GO and Netflix. Maybe they shouldn't save too much money on app designing. It will worth all the cost if you invent a stable app in one go.  Even the most popular OTT app that we use/stream every day - YouTube doesn't seem to have this issue.

3. Censorship on Unifi TV is way terrible than Astro! Literally!

Can we talk about censorship? I get that Unifi TV should cut all the sex scenes and extremely violent scenes, but words censoring is a huge issue for Unifi TV.

Compared to Unifi TV, Astro only censors the F-word. Unifi TV censors a lot and here's some example:

B**ch, a**h*le, v***na, d*ck, p***y, son of a b**ch. (<---Astro doesn't censor these words on their channels)

Have you ever wondered why Unifi TV can't carry HBO channels or even OTT apps like Netflix and Disney+? It's because they're too strict about their censorship even the shows/movies are rated 18+. The double-standard exists when it comes to English and non-English channels. Unifi TV team only heavily censors English channels, but not non-English channels, which means you can probably see the words "b**ch", "d*ck" and even the F-word in some movies' subtitles on SCM. 

If Unifi TV doesn't change this attitude of censorship, they will never be able to launch HBO channels on their platform. This is because the HBO team doesn't allow TV providers to "censor" their main channel - HBO or the terms and conditions will be violated.

So, what do you think? Do you have opinions regarding things that Unifi TV can improve?

8 REPLIES 8
Lenon1
Contributing Citizen ✪✪✪

Re: Is Unifi TV doomed?

@Loh123 wrote:

Let's face it! Unifi TV is currently doomed not because of its channels/content offering, but for other annoying reasons.

1. Unifi Plus Box can't support Netflix?!

Since a long time ago, we heard the news that Netflix is willing to collaborate with Unifi TV and allow it to be part of the subscribers' bill. 

Source: https://www.lowyat.net/2018/153485/tm-netflix-unifi-tv-status/

But what happened? Here's the latest reply by the Unifi TV team!
"For the time being, we have yet collabrate with Netflix Malaysia. For any updates, we will share official announcement with consumer in Social Media platform Twitter and Facebook" ~ Unifi TV via Messenger

I can't believe that. How could you people just pull yourself from this partnership? 😤

2. Unifi TV app for Unifi Plus Box users and Unifi PlayTV app suck!

We all enjoy the channels and titles provided in both Unifi TV (UPB version) and Unifi PlayTV app, but the design and stability of the app are the main issues here. 

Why Unifi TV app and PlayTV app save bandwidth for both linear channel and VOD streaming? For God's sake, most of us stream the channels and titles on both platforms using Wifi (not data hotspot). Why would Unifi TV think that we're on a data diet? 🙄 All channels and VOD titles provided on UPB and Unifi PlayTV should match the white box's quality, which means 8.8 Mbps for all channels and VOD titles. Not 3.3 Mbps for linear channels and 4.8 for HD VOD titles, which is terrible. Of course, users can have the options to stream the content at a lower resolution/bit rate, but the highest resolution/bit rate should be provided and set as default for UPB users.

Why so many errors and needs to clear cache?

Can the Unifi TV team just hire a team of skilled members to design their apps? I don't see any major problem with iFLIX, Astro GO and Netflix. Maybe they shouldn't save too much money on app designing. It will worth all the cost if you invent a stable app in one go.  Even the most popular OTT app that we use/stream every day - YouTube doesn't seem to have this issue.

3. Censorship on Unifi TV is way terrible than Astro! Literally!

Can we talk about censorship? I get that Unifi TV should cut all the sex scenes and extremely violent scenes, but words censoring is a huge issue for Unifi TV.

Compared to Unifi TV, Astro only censors the F-word. Unifi TV censors a lot and here's some example:

B**ch, a**h*le, v***na, d*ck, p***y, son of a b**ch. (<---Astro doesn't censor these words on their channels)

Have you ever wondered why Unifi TV can't carry HBO channels or even OTT apps like Netflix and Disney+? It's because they're too strict about their censorship even the shows/movies are rated 18+. The double-standard exists when it comes to English and non-English channels. Unifi TV team only heavily censors English channels, but not non-English channels, which means you can probably see the words "b**ch", "d*ck" and even the F-word in some movies' subtitles on SCM. 

If Unifi TV doesn't change this attitude of censorship, they will never be able to launch HBO channels on their platform. This is because the HBO team doesn't allow TV providers to "censor" their main channel - HBO or the terms and conditions will be violated.

So, what do you think? Do you have opinions regarding things that Unifi TV can improve?

We chose Unifi TV because Astro bills are quite expensive, Unifi TV provides all channels with only just one single pack, great, comfortable and nice with only RM60 per month (valuable), but so much poor service. I did noticed the source Netflix collaborate with Unifi TV and I'm quite happy with that, but they tricked us. Secondly, I'm very agree with the third point because I have astro and Unifi TV in my house, I believed Astro will have high chance to broadcast all HBO channels in the future after cessation of Fox Group channels whereas Unifi TV will have big trouble due to lack of movie channels ( cessation of RED By HBO in 2019), if they did not bring in Paramount+ , I might terminate my Unifi TV subscription because it wont be worth anymore after 1st October. MyFreeView will be more better than Unifi TV very soon because they will launch more channels from other countries like Singapore (which happened now in Johor), Thailand (coming soon in Perlis, Kedah, Perak), Brunei and so on.

dammon23
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

Yeah MyFreeView will be the 1st choice for all customers soon, I also heard that they will recieved Indo channels too.

Source in Digital TV Malaysia lowyat forum:

Indonesian DTT channel update:
Got the info that Batam, Indonesia has activated Emtek mux on UHF 42 (642MHz), which consists 2 SD channels: SCTV and Indosiar.
For those who residing in Johor Bahru areas, can try manual search 642MHz (Channel 42) to try receive new Indonesian digital TV channels (if you interested la).

Currently, Batam transmits a total of 3 frequency muxes for digital TV, which are:
- Channel 42 (642MHz): SCTV, Indosiar...
- Channel 46 (674MHz): Trans TV, Trans 7, CNN Indonesia, CNBC Indonesia, Metro TV
- Channel 48 (690Mhz): TVRI, Nusantara TV and a few others.

Their digital TV signal's transmit power are generally weaker than Malaysia's MYTV and Singapore's Mediacorp, so you might not able to receive it at all. But no harm trying though...

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/4859590/+1160

remstr
Mayor

Hi @dammon23 @Loh123 @Lenon1 ,

I have asked TV team and i shared this thread to them. They are aware of all the points that you guys talk about and they do have plans to tackle them (except the cencorship, they cannot do anything about that).

Lets hope they will rolled out new updates to tackle all that.

Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

As for the censorship, they should create a feature that automatically secures all R21 or uncensored titles with PIN (like what Astro does with HBO GO titles). This should be applied to HyppFlicks Plus titles too.

CathanKing610
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

@Loh123 wrote:

As for the censorship, they should create a feature that automatically secures all R21 or uncensored titles with PIN (like what Astro does with HBO GO titles). This should be applied to HyppFlicks Plus titles too.

Probably Unifi TV awared that teenagers and children might watched 18+ movies too? 

Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

Well, that only maked them to lose more subscribers to Astro, OTT platforms and piracmy sites. They should treat this matter seriously. It's 2021. Things should be made available and accessible.

KevinLim
Contributing Citizen ✪

I came here to find out how to uninstall and unsubscribe to Unifi TV

AqFad
Upholding Citizen ✪

Just go to TMPoint if you have one.