Unifi Sports Channels are artificially delayed?

linkinstreet
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

Unifi Sports Channels are artificially delayed?

I noticed that today when watching Supercars on SPOTV2, there was a massive 3 minute delay between the live timing on the supercars website, and with the live race itself on Unifi TV. I thought this was an issue with SPOTV, until today when I tuned in to Bein 3, and realised that the match was just about to get started, but the same match on Astro is already 3 to 4 minutes in.

That is a massive delay, and in terms of watching sports, an eternity. And that's while using the white UNIFI STB with the VLAN. Using the PlayTV app, you will get around 5 minutes delay. 

Really hope that TM can remove this delay. It's bad enough that we are getting 10 minutes delay on some channels like GEM and Animax. 

7 REPLIES 7
AqFad
Upholding Citizen ✪

Re: Unifi Sports Channels are artificially delayed?

@linkinstreet wrote:

I noticed that today when watching Supercars on SPOTV2, there was a massive 3 minute delay between the live timing on the supercars website, and with the live race itself on Unifi TV. I thought this was an issue with SPOTV, until today when I tuned in to Bein 3, and realised that the match was just about to get started, but the same match on Astro is already 3 to 4 minutes in.

That is a massive delay, and in terms of watching sports, an eternity. And that's while using the white UNIFI STB with the VLAN. Using the PlayTV app, you will get around 5 minutes delay. 

Really hope that TM can remove this delay. It's bad enough that we are getting 10 minutes delay on some channels like GEM and Animax. 

Maybe there's a reason between this delay

To put their own ad when there is an ad from channel that doesn't available on Unifi TV

Fennec16
Sheriff

Hi @linkinstreet  Have you tried restarting your Unifi Set Top Box (STB)? Or you have any issue with your internet connection speed? If you think that your internet connection is unreasonably slow, you can ask livechat to reset your port or tweet @helpmeunifi / unifi FB to report on this issue (Sports Channel delay)
Maybe this will help you.

Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

@linkinstreet, since this is the first week of both beIN SPORTS channels on the platform, the team usually takes some time to learn the "ads mechanics" and "content delay relevancy". Also another possibility could be that they're opening the channels to a massive number of viewers, and the team doesn't have sufficient workers during Raya. So they probably try their best to monitor every channel as possible (before getting complaints about not complying with the censorship board if something unpleasant happens during live matches). Just give them 1-3 weeks before you start complaining to them. 😅 Thank you!

linkinstreet
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

@Fennec16 wrote:

Hi @linkinstreet  Have you tried restarting your Unifi Set Top Box (STB)? Or you have any issue with your internet connection speed? If you think that your internet connection is unreasonably slow, you can ask livechat to reset your port or tweet @helpmeunifi / unifi FB to report on this issue (Sports Channel delay)
Maybe this will help you.

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, but there is nothing wrong with my internet connection. The stream are sent through UDP via a dedicated VLAN, so it's either you get the stream at the same time as everyone else, or non at all.

While I am thankful that you are trying to help, I do feel that this issue is out of your league.

linkinstreet
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

@Loh123 wrote:

@linkinstreet, since this is the first week of both beIN SPORTS channels on the platform, the team usually takes some time to learn the "ads mechanics" and "content delay relevancy". Also another possibility could be that they're opening the channels to a massive number of viewers, and the team doesn't have sufficient workers during Raya. So they probably try their best to monitor every channel as possible (before getting complaints about not complying with the censorship board if something unpleasant happens during live matches). Just give them 1-3 weeks before you start complaining to them. 😅 Thank you!

Hi. 

While I do see your point, a delay as massive as this is not adviseable when watching sports. When watching something "Live" I expect it to be as fast as what the provider can broadcast it. What's the point on watching a legit broadcast when it's artifically delayed by the provider, when you can have "ahem" alternatives streams that are faster?

That being said, I am giving time to see if Unifi TV rectifies this. If not, then as a consumer I do have my rights to grieve my dissapointment with the sub-par service provided to me 

Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

@linkinstreet, @Fennec16 and @AqFad, so far, only SPOTV 1 (CH 706) had stopped its delay since yesterday morning. This can be assumed to happen to the rest of the delayed sports channels in the next few days/weeks. 

linkinstreet
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

@Loh123 wrote:

@linkinstreet, @Fennec16 and @AqFad, so far, only SPOTV 1 (CH 706) had stopped its delay since yesterday morning. This can be assumed to happen to the rest of the delayed sports channels in the next few days/weeks. 

Sadly nope. Did a side by side comparison between Astro Go, Unifi TV and official MotoGP.com stream. The delay on Unifi TV is massive

ComparisonComparison