Unifi TV bitrate and picture quality

masyraf
Contributing Citizen ✪

Unifi TV bitrate and picture quality

Hi, I just installed the Unifi Plus Box, and regularly use Unifi TV most of the time. I find it bizarre for it does not have resolution settings in-app. Whenever I use the rewind feature suddenly the picture quality drops to ugly 480p and lots of pixelation that is unbearable to a modern 4K TV. I had to reboot the box, clear all storage caches, the app cache then restart the app only the picture will become sharp again. And now I cannot watch SPOTV on the Unifi Plus Box, the circle keeps loading. Other channels are just fine, no channel issue with the old white box as well.

Speaking of sharpness, I feel the old white hypptv box decodes higher quality bitrate picture than the Unifi TV app. Twitch and YouTube broadcasts 1080p at much better quality. Is there any way or will Unifi increase the Unifi TV app bitrate? I do hope that we users also get the option to choose the highest bitrate possible (8 Mbps for 30 frames or 12Mbps for 60 frames but most TV shows are at 30frames anyway).

5 REPLIES 5
qashairy
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

Re: Unifi TV bitrate and picture quality

the old PlayTV app has the bitrate option, but they removed it on latest version...kinda bummer

karimselamat
Upholding Citizen ✪

they don't want ppl to complaint if their line is too slow but they set their streaming to 720p n above that caused the streaming buffered. same like youtube, if you have a slow line, but u set manually at 720p above you will experienced lag.

qashairy
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

Which is quite bummer.

Loh123
Upholding Citizen ✪✪✪

@masyraf@qashairy  and  @karimselamat, the main issue with the Unifi TV bitrate and picture quality is the server they use for the Unifi TV app (UPB version) and Unifi PlayTV is the same, which allows the viewers to save data when they're streaming using mobile data. It's absurd when they think the viewers will have the idea to save their Internet speed when watching Unifi TV over Wifi. 

The best solution for them is to use the same app on Unifi white box and change its connection from LAN to Wifi. It will work perfectly and retain the same picture and audio quality, just like the white box.

karimselamat
Upholding Citizen ✪

unifi play stream via local line. what i mean is it utilize local bandwitdh, not going through international gateway, so TM is not pay extra money to any cable provider because they owned the cable and the hosting. they just paying to the content (tv) provider, which the costs already cover by the bill charged to consumers.

so i think TM should not afraid to provide best resolution, minimum 720p since it only use around 3-5Mbps and users who already subscribe unifi fiber shouldn't get this problem.

UNLESS, TM hosting has limited bandwidth.. for its tv, thats why they need to throttle the bandwidth to every tv viewers out there.
hihihihi Smiley Very Happy