cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get sms in overseas without data roaming

vincentliew32
Contributing Citizen ✪

Get sms in overseas without data roaming

Hi community, would like to check if I can receive sms in overseas without subscribe to data roaming? I do not need mobile data and make calls, but just to receive sms tac for my bank transactions. Do I need to activate data roaming? Will there be charges to receive sms? Please help to advise. Thank you in advance.

10 REPLIES 10
remstr
Mayor

Re: Get sms in overseas without data roaming

@vincentliew32 wrote:

Hi community, would like to check if I can receive sms in overseas without subscribe to data roaming? I do not need mobile data and make calls, but just to receive sms tac for my bank transactions. Do I need to activate data roaming? Will there be charges to receive sms? Please help to advise. Thank you in advance.

Hi there @vincentliew32 ,

If you are postpaid user then you need to activate your roaming before going oversea. That is for data of course. For sms, i believe that you will be charge per-sms-used.

You can check the sms rate here, just fill in where you are going -->https://unifi.com.my/personal/mobile/roaming

vincentliew32
Contributing Citizen ✪

Hi @remstr,

I'm not going to send any sms but I just want to receive sms. For that, I will need data roaming and there will be charges?

remstr
Mayor

@vincentliew32 wrote:

Hi @remstr,

I'm not going to send any sms but I just want to receive sms. For that, I will need data roaming and there will be charges?

Incoming sms, no there will be no charges from unifi. But, we cant say the same from your sms sender. For calls, there will be a charges incoming or outgoing. @vincentliew32 

syyeam
New-in-Town ✪

I'm in the same situation as Vincent and currently using Webe postpaid plan. Will be studying in UK for a year starting Sep 2020.

So if I understand @remstr correctly, I switch to prepaid and still receive sms for free in UK? This is to receive tac number for bank transaction, similar to Vincent.
bebasYo
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

Hello @remstr,

I would like to know this as well, for Unifi Mobile prepaid Bebas:

1) What are the steps in order to receive SMS in Singapore?

2) Is receiving SMS free in Singapore?

Thanks!

marczeman
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

So in the end did they charge you? i emailed support and they said they are going to charge??

marczeman
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

I emailed support and they said they do charge both ways. (flat fee RM1.50 for Thailand in my case)
remstr
Mayor

Hi @marczeman ,

Yes after a long chat with backend, it seems like all the SMSes will be charged, same as call.

bebasYo
Contributing Citizen ✪✪

Hello there @remstr @marczeman  @vincentliew32 ,

You mean we will be charged, just to receive SMS OTPs from Malaysian banks?

Please and thanks for the feedback.